Today we finished reading the first section of Bernard Malamud’s “The Natural”. This first section is called “Pre-game”. It ends with a shocking event: Roy Hobbs is shot by a mad girl in a Chicago hotel, before he even has a chance to try out for a baseball team!
What we discussed today:
- the story of Perceval and the Holy Grail (see the previous blog entry)
- the vegetative deity or the Green Man myth
- the Biblical story of David and Goliath
- Chiyonofuji and the end of his career (this is the same story of any fighter or warrior who grows old)
- why does Harriet Bird shoot Roy???!?