In this session, we will finish answering the questions about “Out of the Silent Planet”, and begin reading the second book in this science fiction trilogy, Perelandra. This story deals with several important matters regarding Christianity. Reading this story is a good way to learn about Christian values.
Anyone is welcome. In fact, as we will be starting a new book today, this session would be a good time to join or re-join our informal reading group. I will bring photocopies of the first chapter of Perelandra, for those who do not have their own copy of the book. (I will also bring extra copies of the worksheets for “Out of the Silent Planet“.)
I will bring worksheets for “Perelandra”. You will read the novel at home, in your own time. The worksheets are not compulsory, but I recommend them. The questions will help you
- focus on the key points of the text,
- get more out of reading the story.
We will discuss the novel in the next two or three sessions by discussing our answers to the worksheets. To answer some of these questions, you will need a Bible. A Japanese Bible should be sufficient. (The language in the English Bible, although beautiful, is very difficult, and should only be attempted by advanced learners of English.)
As always, the discussions will be in English, and in our sessions I will refer to the English version of the book (I will be using this paperback edition). However, it is perfectly ok to read the book in Japanese. In fact, I encourage you to do so.
- Reading the book in Japanese only is better than not reading the book at all.
- Reading the book (any book) in both Japanese AND English is perhaps THE most powerful language-learning method of all.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Career Goals Worksheet with Instructions (brighthub.com)
- Acquiring Reading Skills in English Through Control-Obsession-Mastery Method (prweb.com)
- Celebrating the King James Bible (oup.com)