Hi, and welcome to Writing Strategies 2. I hope you enjoyed the summer vacation. I made a short trip to Lake Biwa and Nagano. How about you? You can let me know in the comments.
In this semester, we will continue reading simple stories in English. We will also focus on discussing the stories in English and writing reports of our discussions, in preparation for the final essay which will be due on the last class, Jan. 25th, 2019.
We will read new stories as well as read again some stories from last semester.
There is no textbook for this class.
- In my British university, there was
- No attendance taken
- no credit system, instead, there was a test/exam system:
- a test at the end of the first year
- “finals” at the end of the 3rd (final) year
- no graduation certificate, but instead a degree certificate
- Therefore I don’t put much emphasis on attendance but rather on the work that you do.
- If you miss a class find out what we did (see this blog) and do the work
- Plato’s academy
- Not a school, more a community of learners, people who like to discuss and think about big questions, e.g. “what is a good person? How to live a good life?” etc.
- Scientific revolution (Europe, 16th/17th centuries
- Galileo, Copernicus, Newton, etc.
- Questioning: is the earth really the centre? If so, there must be objective, sensory evidence.
- I.e. looking for more than religious belief
- Fill in the table
- What is the meaning of “the important thing”?
- Do you agree?