Write the first draft of your final essay, print it out and bring it to class next week.
- Urabe – Tolkien on Fairy Tales
- Yonemori – on Noah’s Ark
- Ueda – on chivalry.
- What did CS Lewis himself write about fairy tales and about how and why he wrote the Narnia stories? We read some extracts from his short essay “On Three Ways of Writing for Children” and “Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What’s to be Said” (in “On Stories”).
- In Noah’s Ark, there were three levels. These levels symbolize the Christian hierarchy. Christians understand the world as made up of hierarchies, and believe it is important to recognize and accept this. They do not believe in absolute equality. For example, God is not equal to humans; He is not on the same level.
- We read some extracts from chapter 12:
- Aslan gives Digory a chance to “undo the wrong” that he has done (bringing the Witch into Narnia)
- Aslan is “not the sort of person one could try to make bargains with.” Digory understands this. I.e., he understands that Aslan is his superior.
- Aslan and Digory understand the meaning of grief. “Let us be good to one another”, he says. See also Ephesians 4:32 “And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” 互に情深く、あわれみ深い者となり、神がキリストにあってあなたがたをゆるして下さったように、あなたがたも互にゆるし合いなさい。