Welcome to Sheffner’s Writing Strategies I (WS1) class.
The textbook is “Splitting the Arrow” by Prem Rawat. We will start using this from next week.
I have uploaded today’s (Friday April 12th) presentation to the resources folder. You can also download it here: WS1 2019- course intro
Homework: send me an email.
- Introduce yourself briefly,
- tell me what class of mine you are in and why you are taking this class
- make a short comment about today’s class (April 12th).
- Use a current email address that you check regularly. I will use this to contact you from time to time during the semester.
I’m looking forward to this semester. See you next Friday, April 19th.
- What is academic writing?
- What is the origin of the word “academic”?
- Who started it?
- What are the characteristics of academic writing?
- Key points of today’s class:
- What? When? Where? Who? How?Why?
- Defininitions / define your terms
- Why study? Watch this video
Liberal Arts were originally education for free people as opposed to slaves. The first three liberal arts were
- grammar (correct language)
- logic (correct thinking)
- rhetoric (how to persuade others)