Update: I have now sent everyone my corrections and comments to your “Tortoises’ Picnic” writing. Re-write your first draft, save it as “WS1 Tortoises Picnic Draft2 YourName” (without the quotation marks) and post on Manaba by 11 a.m. Friday June 7th.
Watch the beginning of “Get Shorty”: https://youtu.be/Q7iU5hfG53w?t=93
- Which country is Miami in?
- Which part of that country is Miami in (West, East, South, North, Centre?)
- “I’ll say no more than I have to, if that.” Translate into Japanese.
Now watch Episode 6 of Dragon Zakura.
- What did you learn about learning English and writing English from this episode?
Watch the British history movie that you have chosen. Take notes. You will write a report about it (due June 14th).
- Anglo-Saxon (Old English) poem, “The Battle of Maldon”(see video on YouTube)
- What words can you recognize as modern English words?
- What letters are not used in modern English?
- How to cite a YouTube video in your “References” list. Here are the guidelines:
- Author, A. A. [Screen name]. (year, month day). Title of video [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.someaddress.com/full/url/
- Alfred the Great. Why was he called “Great”?
- How to cite a Wikipedia page using Microsoft Word’s citation function
- Excalibur (the movie) – how Arthur was born and why there’s a sword in the stone.
Write a summary of the part of “Emily” we read in class today.
- “Miss Nelson is Missing” worksheet: answer the questions about “Identity” and “Deception”.
- 1-to-1 conferencing about your writing (continued next week)
Read chapter 5 and answer the MCQs. You can download them here: MN_MCQ_ch6
- Checked answers to chapter 4 MCQs.
- Discussed the relationship between Polly and Digory in this story and especially in this chapter.
- The reader learns something about the character of the two children from what they do and say. What have you learned about their characters from chapter 4?
- Write your English grammar or vocabulary questions.
- Write a question you have about the story so far.
- The story for adults by C.S. Lewis that deals with men-women relationships in a Christian marriage is called That Hideous Strength, and the Japanese translation is 「いまわしき砦の戦い―サルカンドラ 地球編 (別世界物語)」
Prepare a 2-3 minute presentation on one of the British books you’ve read or British movies you’ve watched this semester. Your presentation must include:
- information for your classmates to find the book or movie themselves
- a brief description of the main points of the story (but don’t tell the ending)
- what we can learn about Britain from watching/reading this.
- Read chapter 3, section “Plauge, Fire and Revolution” and answer these queseitons:
- Why were many building srebuilt after 1666?
- Why did Parliament invite William of Orange to be king in 1688?
- Why was Bonnie Prince Charlie a problem?
- What was the Glorious Revolution and why was it glorious?
- Read chapter 3, section “England + Wales + Scotland + Ireland” and answer these questions:
- What two acts were passed before 1710 and why were they important?
- What is 10 Downing Street and why is it important?
- When was the Union Jack designed and why?
- Whose statue is in Trafalgar Square and why?
- Mini-lecture on the causes of the Civil War.
- Royalists vs Parliamentarians
- the idea of a parliamentary system vs a royal (monarch) system
- Thomas Paine was the American who went to Paris in 1790 and argued for the release of the King.
- The parliament and the king or queen (monarch) each want more power, so there is a constant battle between them in British history.