- Read the handout about the 13 English colonies
- Write a definition sentence about
- the 13 colonies
- the New England colonies
- the Mid-Atlantic colonies
- the Southern colonies
- Read again chapter 3, paragraphs 1-11 (not 10), up to and including the paragraph on Greenwich Village.
- Write a sentence giving the key points of each paragraph, 1-11.
- Cost of steerage to the US from England in the mid-19th century?
- What two types of ships were there then?
- Which was cheaper?
- How long did it take?
- Using the information in “In the Heart of the Rockies”, write a definition sentence for “steerage”.
- Watch the beginning of the Chaplin silent film “The Immigrant”, and write another sentence about steerage using information from the movie clip.
- Read chapter 3 paragraphs 1-11 (Greenwich Village).