- (for week 2) Write a summary of chapter 1 of “The Magician’s Nephew”, in English, in 5~7 sentences.
- email it to me by Monday 6 pm.
- I will correct it and return it to you by email.
- When you get your corrected summary back from me, post it on this blog as a comment (use your family name only)
- (for week 3) Read Genesis 1~3 (in either English or Japanese) 日本語聖書検索
- (for week 3) What does the Bible teach us about magic? What is God’s attitude towards magic and towards people who use magic? Read each of the following Bible verses to find the answer:
- Exodus 7:1-8:19
- Deuteronomy 18:9-15
- Daniel 2
- Acts 8:9-13
- Acts 13:1-12
- Galatians 5:19-21
We also discussed, “What is Christianity? How is it different from Buddhism and other religions?”
According to the Book of Genesis, God gave the earth and everything in it to man to use:
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
This is sometimes called “dominion theology” or dominionism (see English Wikipedia entry).
Many people blame the dominion theology of Genesis for our environmental problems. [From http://www.religioustolerance.org/tomek30.htm. Accessed 2011.09.23]
What do you think?
Please read the other students’ summaries in the comments below. Which ones are good summaries?