According to this BBC article, Madonna, the American pop star, made comments in support of Gypsies and against the discrimination they face during a concert in Bucharest in Romania, although she was booed by the fans for her comments. Madonna explains Gypsy comments.
Madonna has said she was “compelled” to comment on the discrimination against Romany Gypsies while on stage in Romania, despite being booed by fans. The 51-year-old was jeered by the audience in Bucharest after saying the discrimination “made me feel very sad”. ..
Madonna paused during her two-hour show to say: “It has been brought to my attention, that there is a lot of discrimination against Romanies and Gypsies in general in Eastern Europe – it made me feel very sad. We don’t believe in discrimination, we believe in freedom and equal rights for everyone.”
The star uses a group of Roma musicians on her Sticky and Sweet tour… Publicist Liz Rosenberg said… “Madonna has been touring with a phenomenal troupe of Roma musicians who made her aware of the discrimination toward them in several countries so she felt compelled to make a brief statement.”
Related articles by Zemanta
- Madonna Booed Over ‘Sad’ Gypsy Abuse (news.sky.com)
- Madonna explains Gypsy comments (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Hindu and Jew urge Madonna to take up Gypsy cause (ctv.ca)
- Madonna’s 1-Liner About Not Hating Gays Is Gonna Get Her Bashed in Romania (queerty.com)
- Gypsy trio criticizes booing of Madonna (ctv.ca)
- Madonna Booed in Bucharest (abcnews.go.com)
- Romanian fans boo Madonna (guardian.co.uk)
- Madonna’s Roma appeal sparks crowd jeers (cbc.ca)