Today in class:
- There is no class next week, November 5th. There will be a makeup class in December, either 4th or 18th (Saturdays). Please tell me when you are and are not available on those two days. Next class will be November 12th.
Update: Saturday Dec. 18th, 2nd period (11-12:30) was the most popular time.
- Write the details of our textbook, using the MLA format.
- Study Guide, p. 15, question 9: what does it mean to be narrow-minded? Uncle Andrew believes there are no absolutes, that there is no absolute right and wrong. This goes against the Christian view. Christians believe that there are absolutes; in particular, there is an absolute right and wrong. Christians are not the only ones who believe this. When we say “case by case”, we are saying there are no absolutes. When we say, “it depends” 場合によって we are saying there are no absolutes. What do you think?
- Textbook page 20: “The moment I picked up that box I could tell by the pricking in my fingers that I held some great secret in my hands.” See also these famous lines from Shakespeare’s “Macbeth“: “By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes.” [Macbeth Act 4, scene 1, 44–49].
- Study Guide pages 20-21. We answered questions 5-11, and translated the Bible passages in questions 12, 14.
- Study Guide pages 24-5: we checked the meaning of the sentences that use Cockney dialect.
- Some points that came up in today’s class:
- Read chapters 6-7.
- Study Guide page 45-7, Summary Questions. Choose a topic for a presentation November 12th. Tell me your choice by email as soon as possible (deadline 締め切り Friday Nov. 5th, 23:59).
- Story Structure (questions 1-4, p. 45)
- Characterization (questions 5-7, p. 46)
- Theme – how we treat other people (question 8, p. 47)
- Theme – curiosity (question 9, p. 47)
- Theme – the Deplorable Word (question 10, p. 48)
- Study Guide page 25-6, questions 1-9.
Here are some photos of things that appear in “The Magician’s Nephew“. Click on the photos to see a bigger image. (All photos courtesy of Flickr.)