Homework for next week (week 8, Nov. 16th):
- Read chapter 10 of “The Magician’s Nephew“.
- Freewriting about chapter 10:
- What does it remind you of? Relate some content to your own experience.
- Continue researching your project.
- Sharing your homework (about Genesis and chapter 9) with classmates in random groups
- “The land of youth”. Could Narnia be the legendary “Land of Youth“? “Sweet hope” enters Digory’s heart when Uncle Andrew says these words.
- Why can’t Uncle Andrew understand when Aslan and the Narnia animals speak? The cabby and Polly and Digory can understand. Why can’t Uncle Andrew?
- Prep schools (in British English) are schools that “prep” (i.e. prepare) children to enter fee-paying secondary schools, especially public schools (this is British English for a certain kind of elite secondary school).
- We watched the beginning of a Japanese movie that describes the creation of Japan: 日本誕生 (N.B. this is NOT the Doraemon movie!). The story in Genesis is just one creation myth. There are many, including the Japanese one. Click this link to read the Wikipedia Japan entry on creation myths 創造神話
Here is a trailer for a John Huston movie called “The Bible”, made in 1965 (a few years after 日本誕生 ). Maybe this movie is in the DWC library.