Homework (for week 9, Nov. 30th):
- Read chapter 11
- Free writing: make personal connections between chapter 11 and your personal experiences and history and knowledge.
- Continue researching your project for your 2nd presentation (Dec. 7th)
- In random groups, we discussed
- I read parts of chapter 11 and talked about
- original sin
- the first joke (chapter 10)
- some examples of humour in chapter 11
- what the bulldog means for British people – I forgot to mention that the bulldog is a kind of symbol of British people because it is loyal, strong and very obstinate (determined). From Wikipedia:
The English Bulldog is popularly used to represent England or the United Kingdom. The English Bulldog breed is the official mascot of the United States Marine Corps and many bases have their own mascot on base. Thirty-nine American universities use a Bulldog as their mascot.
- original sin: Adam and Eve were responsible for sin in the Garden of Eden because they broke God’s law not to eat the fruit from the forbidden tree. Digory is responsible for the evil coming into Narnia (Jadis). Adam and Eve were punished by being thrown out of Eden. Digory has a chance to expiate his wrong.
(Survey has been moved to here)
Express your opinion! Let me know what you think of today's class, the written materials, the activities, the teacher's lecture, etc. Have a question about English or about today's class? Click the words "Leave a comment" below, or send me an email. Thank you for visiting.