This semester, students will write more in English than in the first semester.
- Read the first 7 paragraphs of chapter 4 (pages 46-49).
- Summarize each paragraph in English in 1~3 sentences. (Hint: usually the first 1 or 2 sentences in each paragraph summarize the paragraph.) Use your own words. Write in as simple English as possible.
- Email me your summary before next class.
- Print out your summary and bring it to the next class.
- Look up any names, places, people, etc., that are mentioned in the first 7 paragraphs that you don’t know (e.g. Schleswig-Holstein (and also on Wikipedia), Frisian, Beowulf, etc). Bring the information (maps, pictures, printout, etc) to class and be prepared to explain them to the class.
Example summary of paragraph 1:
“In the country inns of a small corner of northern Germany, in the spur of land connecting Schleswig-Holstein to Denmark, you can sometimes hear people talking in what sounds eerily like a lost dialect of English.”
- “In the country(side) of north Germany, you can hear people talking in what sounds like a dialect of English.”
- “In the country(side) of north Germany, there are some people who speak a dialect that sounds like English.”
- “In the country(side) of north Germany, there are people who speak a language that is very similar to/like English.”