Welcome back, everyone, to the first of our last two classes in 2010.
Important announcement: the makeup class scheduled for Wednesday Jan. 13th has been cancelled. Instead, there will be class as usual on Friday, Jan. 15th.
Here is the lesson plan for today:
- I return the remaining #2 reports.
- Review of the criteria I use to evaluate your writing
- conventions of writing: sentence and paragraph structure, punctuation, etc.
- Vocabulary: rich, precise, correctly used.
- Grammar: basic and advanced structures, word order
- Organization: logically organized, correct use of paragraphs
- Originality: have you used your own words? Do you have interesting ideas or approaches?
- Academic writing:
- formal register:
- avoid “I”; your writing should be impersonal and objective;
- avoid contractions like “don’t”;
- be precise in your use of words
- citations (“according to ….”, (Krashen, 2003), etc.
- references / bibliography, including websites and the date visited
- opposing arguments (both sides of an issue)
- logical thinking
- formal register:
- What does “discuss” mean? Discuss – requires an answer that explains an item or concept, and then gives details about it with supportive information, examples, points for and against, and explanations for the facts put forward. It is important to give both sides of an argument and come to a conclusion.
- Topics for January, and details of the final exam.
- Australia quiz. Who or what are these (answer in 1 or 2 sentences):
- Alice Springs
- the Great Barrier Reef
- Stolen generation
- White Australia policy
- Bush tucker
- What does Australia export apart from beef?
- How many foreign students does Australia have?
- Where did the new settlers who came to Australia in 2001-2 come from?
Related articles by Zemanta
- Qantas & Tourism Northern Territory offer cheap flights to Australia’s Red Center (gadling.com)
- Australian Camels To Be Shot After Invading Town (huffingtonpost.com)
- Australia to kill 6,000 camels (thestar.com)
- Thirsty camels face bullet after terrorising Australian town (guardian.co.uk)
- Australian state to shoot 6,000 camels that swarmed town (ctv.ca)
Express your opinion! Let me know what you think of today's class, the written materials, the activities, the teacher's lecture, etc. Have a question about English or about today's class? Click the words "Leave a comment" below, or send me an email. Thank you for visiting.