There WILL be an examination – July 24th. (In today’s class, I said there would not be an examination: that was incorrect).
I will tell you more about the examination next class – July 10th. It will be a reading and writing exam, based on the two textbooks we have used this semester.
July 3rd lesson plan.
- “Diddakoi“, page 24 ~ page
- Watch 2 sections of the movie Kes This movie was made at about the same time as the Diddakoi book was published. The main character, Caspar, is not a gypsy and he is older than Kizzy and has a brother. There are a few similarities: he has no friends (like Kizzy), is bullied (like Kizzy), and although he has a mother, she does not look after him well and they hardly ever see each other.
- Caspar steals a young kestrel and takes it home. Then he steals a book on falconry to learn how to train the kestrel. He trains the kestrel.
- We see Caspar at school, taking a sports lesson. He is not good at sports, he does not have any kit, and he is bullied by the sports teacher, who behaves rather childishly.
- What differences or similarities do you see between Britain of the 1970s and Japan of today?
N.B.: many of you wrote that in Britain the age of voting is 21. This is incorrect. In Britain the age at which people can vote is 18. In the movie, the librarian tells Caspar that, in order to borrow a library book, he must get the card signed by someone over the age of 21 and on the electoral roll (i.e. someone who lives in that city).
Write a report about chapter 3 of Diddakoi. Your report should be about 150 words. It must include:
- a summary of the main (key) points or events of the chapter
- an explanation of why these points or events are important for the story as a whole
- a comparison with another story you know, your own experience, or a news item
- your evaluation of the chapter: did you learn from it? If so, what? Be specific, and give details from the chapter.