- Prepare your presentation.
- Start thinking about your essay topic.
Next class: Decmber 5th. Presentation on “How to create languages in tribes”, and a presentation by Ms. Isoda, Kamada and Miyamoto.
NB: the makeup class for cancelled week 6 will be on January 10th, not December 13th or 20th.
- Presentation by Ms. Nishihara, Okada and Shono on “Phonetics: English pronunciation that is hard for Japanese speakers”.
- Scottish accent: listen to the song “I’m on my way” sung by the Scottish group “The Proclaimers” (and used in the soundtrack of the movie “Shrek”).
- how do Scots pronounce the “ay” (ɛɪ ) sound of standard English, as in “way” and “today”?
- how do Scots pronounce the “igh” (ɒɪ) sound of standard English, as in “right”?
- how do Scots pronounce the “ow” (ɒʊ) sound of standard English, as in “town” and “down”?
- Which English sounds are difficult for Japanese speakers to make? Why?