Have something to say? Let me know in the comments or send me a private email.
The latest presentation schedule can be viewed and downloaded here: SinEa_Schedule
- Read chapter 5 (first half) “Analysing Sounds”.
- Make a list of 5 topics you might write about for your final essay.
Presenters, prepare your presentations.
In today’s class:
- There was a presentation about the second half of chapter 4 “Cutting Language Up”.
- We looked at the MLA Guidebook, p. 21 and p. 29 – the format for writing an academic essay and for a bibliography.
- Some possible topics for your final essay. Feel free to change the questions, or to create your own title:
- What is the world’s oldest/first language?
- Do men and women speak differently? Why?
- Do animals have language or is it something only humans have?
- How did writing systems develop?
- Why is English the world language?
- The Rosetta Stone
- Th eTower of Babel
- How do linguists record a language which has not writing system?
- How many languages are there in the world?
- Why are there so many different English accents?
- What is a dialect?