Today’s report is by Ms. Ebisutani.
- We thought about differences of “Langue” and “Parole”, and Saussure’s chess metaphor.
- We read chapter3, the sections about “Twentieth Century: Daniel Jones and the Phoneme”, “Twentieth Century: Bloomfield and the Americans” and “Chomsky”.
- We summarized chapter3, “The Study of Language: Greeks to the 20th Century”.
- Choose a topic for your presentation (June 29th).
- Write a Japanese grammatically impossible sentence (see today’s handout, chapter 4, for an example in English: ‘Quickly table green under happy’.)
- Write a Japanese sentence that has never been spoken or written before (see today’s handout, chapter 4, for an example in English: ‘Purple elephants are turning somersaults
in the hall’.)
Presentation topics. Read one of these books (or a chapter in a book) and tell the class about it.
- Presentation date: June 29th
- Time: 2 minutes.
- Daniel Pinker’s “The Language Instinct“
- 1984 by George Orwell
- How the Alphabet was Made, by Rudyard Kipling
- How the First Letter was Written, by Rudyard Kipling
- “Snow Crash“, a science-fiction novel about language, refers to history and the Biblical story of the Tower of Babel. By Neal Stephenson.
- Japanese myths or famous stories about how language began
- A famous and/or influential Japanese book about (Japanese or English) linguistics
Or you could introduce a famous Japanese linguist or linguistics expert, either living or dead.
- A famous Japanese linguist or linguistics expert (either living or dead)
One thought on “Studies in English 1, week 8: June 8th, 2012”