Hello, everyone. Welcome to Academic Skills 2.
It is almost exactly 2 months since the last class in the first semester. I hope you enjoyed your 2 months’ holiday.
This semester will be more or less the same as last semester, except that
- the textbook is “Illustrated History of the U.S.A.” (I recommend buying a 2nd-hand one if you can).
- we will spend more time practicing writing about historical topics, both for classwork and for homework.
- presentations will begin later in the semester.
- Why does Joseph want to kill Mr. Christie, the landlord?
- Returned 1st semester essays
- Returned 1st semester exam
- Why study history?
- What do you know about American history? What are you interested in about American history?
- 4 kinds of writing we will do in this semester
- Recount – tell what happened
- Describe – what kind of clothes did people wear? What kind of work did they do? What kind of food did they eat? What kind of houses did they live in?
- Explain – why things happened, why people acted in certain ways
- Argue – give reasons for your opinion and persuade the reader, e.g. “Why study American history?”
- Video – watch the first few scenes from “Far and Away”, starring Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise (up to when Joseph meets Mr. Christie in the pub).
- What happened? Recount the story so far.
- What kind of house does Joseph live in? Describe it.