- Read chapter 2 for a quiz next time.
- Start preparing your book and movie presentation. All presentations must be done by Nov. 30th. There is no class on Nov. 23rd.
- All presentations should
- be 4-5 minutes long,
- use Powerpoint or handouts
- include 3-5 key points
- include a summary of the presentation contents (given at the end)
- include a glossary (Japanese explanation) of key words
- include a list of references
- include some sample scene(s) from the movie and sample quotes from the book.
- 2 book-and-movie presentations
- Textbook, chapter 2 and Comprehension questions on p. 24.
- Topics mentioned today:
- Manifest Destiry (and in Japanese here)
- Wall Street (Also a 1987 movie, famous for the line “Greed is good” said by Gordon Gecko.
- the Appalachian Mountains
- The Oregon Trail across the Rocky Mountains
- The purchase of Manhattan: “Manhattan is historically documented to have been purchased by Dutch colonists from Native Americans in 1626 for 60 guilders, which equals roughly US$1050 in current terms.”
- The murder of John Lennon outside the Dakota Apartment House.
Express your opinion! Let me know what you think of today's class, the written materials, the activities, the teacher's lecture, etc. Have a question about English or about today's class? Click the words "Leave a comment" below, or send me an email. Thank you for visiting.