- Continue with your independent study.
- Bring what you have done to class next week (Dec. 22nd).
- About the Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts
- List what you think the Pilgrims brought with them to America.
- Some of the things they actually brought:
- a sundial, candle snuffers, a drum, a trumpet, a complete history of Turkey, a Bible in Turkish.
- One man (William Mullins) brought 126 pairs of shoes and 13 pairs of boots.
- They brought no cow, horse or fishing line.
- Among the professions were two tailors, a printer, several merchants, a silk worker, a shopkeeper and a hatter. No farmers.
- Six died in the first two weeks, eight in December, 17 more in February, 13 in March.
- By April, when the Mayflower went back to England, there were just 54 people left, half of them children.
- Two questions:
- How do we know what happened to the colonists?
- How did the colonists communicate with the native Americans?