- Continue with your independent study.
- Bring what you have done to class next week (Dec. 22nd).
- About the Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts
- List what you think the Pilgrims brought with them to America.
- Some of the things they actually brought:
- a sundial, candle snuffers, a drum, a trumpet, a complete history of Turkey, a Bible in Turkish.
- One man (William Mullins) brought 126 pairs of shoes and 13 pairs of boots.
- They brought no cow, horse or fishing line.
- Among the professions were two tailors, a printer, several merchants, a silk worker, a shopkeeper and a hatter. No farmers.
- Six died in the first two weeks, eight in December, 17 more in February, 13 in March.
- By April, when the Mayflower went back to England, there were just 54 people left, half of them children.
- Two questions:
- How do we know what happened to the colonists?
- How did the colonists communicate with the native Americans?
Express your opinion! Let me know what you think of today's class, the written materials, the activities, the teacher's lecture, etc. Have a question about English or about today's class? Click the words "Leave a comment" below, or send me an email. Thank you for visiting.