Prepare a 2-3 minute presentation on one of the British books you’ve read or British movies you’ve watched this semester. Your presentation must include:
- information for your classmates to find the book or movie themselves
- a brief description of the main points of the story (but don’t tell the ending)
- what we can learn about Britain from watching/reading this.
- Read chapter 3, section “Plauge, Fire and Revolution” and answer these queseitons:
- Why were many building srebuilt after 1666?
- Why did Parliament invite William of Orange to be king in 1688?
- Why was Bonnie Prince Charlie a problem?
- What was the Glorious Revolution and why was it glorious?
- Read chapter 3, section “England + Wales + Scotland + Ireland” and answer these questions:
- What two acts were passed before 1710 and why were they important?
- What is 10 Downing Street and why is it important?
- When was the Union Jack designed and why?
- Whose statue is in Trafalgar Square and why?
- Mini-lecture on the causes of the Civil War.
- Royalists vs Parliamentarians
- the idea of a parliamentary system vs a royal (monarch) system
- Thomas Paine was the American who went to Paris in 1790 and argued for the release of the King.
- The parliament and the king or queen (monarch) each want more power, so there is a constant battle between them in British history.