- Finish reading “The Magician’s Nephew” (chapters 14-15).
- Write the first draft of your research essay, print it out and bring to class Jan. 11th.
- Your research essay must
- be all in English
- be typed
- be 2~4 pages of A4
- be double-spaced
- include your name, class name (WS2) and the date at the top right or left corner
- include a bibliography (all the books, websites etc that you used for your essay AND for your presentations)
- the bibliography must be in English. Japanese books must be written in “roma-ji” and include the translator’s name (in roma-ji), as well as publishing company and publishing year.
- be on the same topic as your 2nd presentation.
- include quotes and examples in English from “The Magician’s Nephew”
- DON’T copy and paste (click-click!) from the Internet.
- DON’T use translation software. Your English is waaay better than any translation software. Believe me.
- Why did C.S. Lewis write the Narnia stories?
- What was your experience of reading chapter 13?
- What questions do you have about chapter 13?
- Why does C.S. Lewis use an apple in this story? Sheffner’s answer: maybe to make the reader think of the Bible story of Adam and Eve and the tempting serpent in the Garden of Eden. However, there are important differences between the two stories.
- Why doesn’t Aslan tell Digory that the apple can give immortality? Sheffner’s answer: he tells Digory and Polly on page 208, that the apple does indeed confer immortality (so the Witch was telling the truth), and the Witch will live long, however, she will not be happy. If Aslan told Digory this, if would weaken the Witch’s argument, make it less tempting. Also, perhaps Aslan thinks it is too dangerous: he wants Digory to learn that immortality is not the best thing that can happen to a human being; joy is.
- Questions to think about while you are writing your essay (except for #2, do NOT answer these questions IN your essay):
- Who are you writing for? Who will read your essay? Answer: me and your fellow students. We already KNOW the story, so don’t summarise the story in your essay.
- What is the main purpose of your essay?
- (questions 3-5 you can answer AFTER you have written your first draft). What is the strong point of your essay?
- What is the weak point of your essay?
- What feedback do you want from your classmates?
A very happy holiday to you all
Express your opinion! Let me know what you think of today's class, the written materials, the activities, the teacher's lecture, etc. Have a question about English or about today's class? Click the words "Leave a comment" below, or send me an email. Thank you for visiting.