- Start writing your essay.
- (Email me your essay topic if you were absent today.)
- Your essay should
- be between 800-1,500 words
- be in academic format (double-spaced),
- have at least 5 paragraphs (introduction, body and conclusion)
- have a bibliography – a list of all the books, articles, websites, movies, videos, etc. you read or watched in your research.
NB: the makeup class for cancelled week 6 will be on January 10th, not December 13th or 20th.
- Presentation on “Phonemes and parts of speech”, by Ms. Sugihara and Yoshioka.
- Presentation on “Intonation”, by Ms Makiyama and Odahara.
- In the last 20-30 years, there has developed a strange way of talking among young native English speakers: they raise their intonation at the end of non-question (declarative) sentences. Here’s a comedian demonstrating this and asking why. It sounds like a lack of confidence, as if the speaker isn’t really sure, or wants to appear unsure rather than confident.
Express your opinion! Let me know what you think of today's class, the written materials, the activities, the teacher's lecture, etc. Have a question about English or about today's class? Click the words "Leave a comment" below, or send me an email. Thank you for visiting.