- chapter 8 MCQs: download it here MN_MCQ_ch8
- chapter 7 summary
- Read a fairy story, and write a paragraph about what makes a fairy story
- what are the characteristics of a fairy story ?
- what makes it different from other stories?
- Checked answers to chapters 6 and 7 MCQs.
- Summary of chapter 7
image source: https://40.media.tumblr.com/93d422a29f36cccd0ad51db845a4a629/tumblr_o1igmiF6lr1u7xrg5o1_500.jpg(
What makes a good presentation? Think about the presentations you saw in class today:
- which ones were good and which not so good?
- Why were the good ones good?
- Why were the not-so-good ones not so good?
- Be specific. Give concrete examples.
- Prepare a 2-3 minute presentation on one of the British books you’ve read or British movies you’ve watched this semester. Your presentation must include:
- information for your classmates to find the book or movie themselves
- a brief description of the main points of the story (but don’t tell the ending)
- what we can learn about fantasy or fairy stories from watching/reading this.
- Read chapter 6 of TMN and answer the MCQs. (You can download them here: MN_MCQ_ch6.rtf
- Checked answers to chapter 5 MCQs.
- Three questions:
- What other story or stories do you know that include a magic word with great power? What is the word, and what is the story?
- Is there any dangerous knowledge that you think humans should not use, and should be kept secret? If so, what?
- What do we learn about Jadis’ character from her words, her actions and her appearance in chapters 4 and 5?
Here are some images of Empress Jadis. Which is best, do you think? Can you draw a good one?
Read chapter 5 and answer the MCQs. You can download them here: MN_MCQ_ch6
- Checked answers to chapter 4 MCQs.
- Discussed the relationship between Polly and Digory in this story and especially in this chapter.
- The reader learns something about the character of the two children from what they do and say. What have you learned about their characters from chapter 4?
- Write your English grammar or vocabulary questions.
- Write a question you have about the story so far.
- The story for adults by C.S. Lewis that deals with men-women relationships in a Christian marriage is called That Hideous Strength, and the Japanese translation is 「いまわしき砦の戦い―サルカンドラ 地球編 (別世界物語)」
MCQ for chapter 4 (download the file here: MN_MCQ_ch4
- Checked meaning of homework words and phrases
- Summary of chapter 4
- What kind of world is this?
- Colours –
- Dull red, dark blue, black
- Cold, quiet
- Ruined buildings
- No sound, no people, no animals or insects, no flowers, trees, grass or moss. No life.
- A strange room full of waxwork images of people
- What happens? (Key events only).
- Polly and Digory explore the world, although they do not like it very much.
- They find a strange room full of waxwork images. There is a bell and a hammer. Polly wants to go home without touching it, but Digory wants to hit the bell to see what happens. They fight. Digory wins and hits the bell. They hear the sound of falling buildings.
Below is one artist’s impression of Charn. How about yours?
Read chapter 3 and write a short summary of the key events.
- Free writing:
- Why am I in this class?
- Mini-lecture on how to write a book report (common mistakes)
- Chapter 2 MCQs and checking of answers.
- Finish ch. 1 MCQs
- Read chapter 2 of “The Magician’s Nephew”.
- write a short summary of chapters 1 & 2
- Choose another easy reading book from the list. Read it. Write a short report :
- Title (English)
- Title (Japanese – if it is a famous novel, you will find this easily with a bit of research)
- Author . Some books are original stories. But many books are famous novels re-written for English students (like you). In that case, write the name of the author of the original story, not the easy-reading version.
- When book published
- When does the story take place?
- Where does the story take place?
- Who are the main characters?
- What happens (give a short summary of the story)
- What did you learn about British from reading this book? (You may need to do a little bit of research).
- Your comments (short, please)
Today I will use some extracts from this book to introduce the importance of thinking logically when writing in English.
- What book did you read for homework?
- Chapter 1 multiple-choice quiz.