Collect all your writing for this class and bring them to the last class on July 28th
- We discussed the picture “The Voluptuary” and the descriptions of Jadis and how it is important to always support a claim with objective facts as evidence.
- We discussed the key charactersitics of a fairy tale.
- Writing: the characteristics of a fairy tale and of a myth.
- Choose four claims from chapters 4-7 in the textbook, find detailed evidence for them, and (if necessary) given an explanation.
- This will be a written paper, in academic format.
- Choose at least one claim of fact (e.g. Margaret Thatcher was the first woman prime minister of Britain) and at last one claim of judgement (e.g. David Beckham is the most famous English footballer).
- List all your sources of information.
- Collect together all your writings for this class and bring them to the last class, July 28th. You will need them to do your final writing.
Presentations by 12 students.
- Finish writing up the claim,evidence and reasons for the Queenie picture (download it here: Slip or Trip )
- Rewrite your report, after reading my corrections and comments.
Slip or trip? The Queenie mystery.
- List the evidence (what you can see in the picture + the autopsy report).
- Write Queenie’s claim. Then list the evidence and explain if it supports Queenie’s claim or not and why or how.
- chapter 8 MCQs: download it here MN_MCQ_ch8
- chapter 7 summary
- Read a fairy story, and write a paragraph about what makes a fairy story
- what are the characteristics of a fairy story ?
- what makes it different from other stories?
- Checked answers to chapters 6 and 7 MCQs.
- Summary of chapter 7
image source: https://40.media.tumblr.com/93d422a29f36cccd0ad51db845a4a629/tumblr_o1igmiF6lr1u7xrg5o1_500.jpg(
What makes a good presentation? Think about the presentations you saw in class today:
- which ones were good and which not so good?
- Why were the good ones good?
- Why were the not-so-good ones not so good?
- Be specific. Give concrete examples.
- Prepare a 2-3 minute presentation on one of the British books you’ve read or British movies you’ve watched this semester. Your presentation must include:
- information for your classmates to find the book or movie themselves
- a brief description of the main points of the story (but don’t tell the ending)
- what we can learn about fantasy or fairy stories from watching/reading this.
- Read chapter 6 of TMN and answer the MCQs. (You can download them here: MN_MCQ_ch6.rtf
- Checked answers to chapter 5 MCQs.
- Three questions:
- What other story or stories do you know that include a magic word with great power? What is the word, and what is the story?
- Is there any dangerous knowledge that you think humans should not use, and should be kept secret? If so, what?
- What do we learn about Jadis’ character from her words, her actions and her appearance in chapters 4 and 5?
Here are some images of Empress Jadis. Which is best, do you think? Can you draw a good one?